Some winter chemicals and accessories that may be useful:
- Metal Out Plus– used to remove metallic stains and prevent hard water from scaling. Controls iron and other metals during the winter months.
- Winter Pill– Makes spring openings faster and easier. It clarifies the pool water and prevents scaling and staining. It naturally destroys all organics, prevents a water ring, enhances filter performance, and improves sanitizer efficiency. This floats under the cover all winter long. Safe for use with all pool surfaces and all filters. Works well with mesh covers.
- Heater and Heat Pump Covers– used to harmful moisture and winter elements away from heaters. Easy to install, no need to disconnect any plumbing, and made of a high-quality durable vinyl exterior.
- Mouse Away– an all-natural herbal mouse repellent. Can be used underneath heater cover or in the spring time in mesh safety cover storage bags.
*All of the above can be ordered for delivery at your pool winterization.
- Keep pump on cover to prevent accumulation of water from rainfall.
- The recessed box the cover rolls into should be cleaned out at least once a year.
- It is recommended that an overall “tune up” of the system should be done by a trained service technician annually or bi-annually to make sure everything can run smoothly.
- Automatic covers are not to be used as winter covers.
Solid Winter Covers Owners:
- Before the winter season approaches, make sure your cover pump is in working condition.
- Pump off your solid winter cover throughout the off season.
- Keep the solid winter cover free of debris.
Mesh Winter Cover Owners:
- Keep the mesh winter cover free of debris.
- Accumulation on top of the cover can cause the cover to fall in and/or damage to your hardware.
- DO NOT FORGET- After the closing, raise and keep your water level per your cover specs.
- Maintain the water level below the tile line, during the winter months, to help prevent damage during the off season This can be done by using a submersible pump or a self-priming pump such as a trash pump. You also could call NeJame Pools and have us come out and pump the pool down for you.
Vinyl Liner Pools with High Water Tables:
- Any vinyl liner pools with high water tables, must have water levels raised to just below the skimmer, after the pool has been winterized. This helps to prevent ground water from pushing up from under pool and causing damage.
Best way to prevent your liner from floating during the winter months:
- Keep the water level high to prevent the water in the pool from spilling out due to the pressure from the sagging cover.
- Maintain low water levels outside the pool. Direct flow of water away from the pool.
- Pump water off solid covers.
- Concrete pools must keep water below tile line.
- Manufacturers recommend that sand filters get sand changed approximately every 4-5 years. Please advise our office if you would like to schedule this service in the Spring.
- D.E. filter nests should be removed and cleaned at least once a season. A great time to do this is in the Fall when the pool is closed for the season.
- Salt cells need to be removed cleaned and stored for the Winter. Cells, on average, need replacement every 15,000 hours of use.
- Ozinators need maintenance too. Gaskets, tubing check valves and bulbs need replacement. Depending on use approximately every 3 years.
- Periodically look under your cover to check the status of your water level.
- Vertical Grid Filters need to have grids replaced every 3-5 yrs recommended by manufacturer.
- Filters should be cleaned every year.
- Sand Filters need to have sand replaced every 5 years.
- Schedule your pool opening early if you have a mesh cover or are in need of any repairs. Did you know that we service from Germantown down to Tuxedo Park and surrounding areas?